Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Arrival of baby Karine :)

3 stage process of labor and birth:

Stage 1 = 2 Phases:

1A = Early labor: Cervix gradually effaces (thins out) and dilates (opens).

Mine started since 6 Dec (Fri) when gynae did VE & confirm I'm 3cm dilated. Mucus plug (transparent mucusy discharge) came out on 7 Dec (Sat).

1B = Active labor: Cervix dilate more rapidly & contractions are longer, stronger, and closer together until cervix is fully dilated. People often refer to the last part of active labor as transition.

I came into TMC at 10.30pm as I was having regular 10mins contractions. After clearing bowels, I was having 7 mins contractions intervals & was moved to the delivery ward.

Dr Jocelyn Wong came & I was about almost 5cm dilated with contractions at 4 mins intervals. She described the labour process to be unpleasant with pain & screaming. I got freaked out & agreed to having the epidural. Baby ETA was about 3-4am.

Epi doc came within 5 mins but suddenly baby's heartbeat went really low & I was put on the oxygen mask. Eventually epi doc declined to give me the epidural saying there's a case 6 months ago where baby died when mummy was being administered epi. By then I'm already 7cm dilated so just had to endure. Baby ETA = 1.30am.

Was feeling desperate when told the oxygen mask I was given is already the gas which is supposed to help 50% of the pain. Lucky Gerald's soothing helped & I requested for Olivia's music to deal with the stress.

Stage 2 = "pushing" stage

Begins when you're fully dilated and ends with the birth of baby.

Didn't know labour really feels like wanting to poo. It happen so quickly, before I know it, I was asked to push & vola, baby was out! What a relieve when they put baby Karine in my arms!

Stage 3

Begins right after the birth of your baby and ends with the delivery of the placenta.

Gerald had the honor to cut the umbilical cord & take pics of the baby while I had to deliver the placenta & be stitched up. Was given local anesthesia but it barely helped with the stitching pain.

Presenting Baby Karine, delivered on 11.12.12 @ 0119 hours, TMC, 3.51Kg, 50cm length, 35cm head circumference





No comments:

Post a Comment