Monday, November 1, 2010

Breastfeeding - A Roller Coaster Ride

The blocked duct which started from last Friday did not ease despite additional effort put in to pump & massage away the blockage. Then came a nipple blister on Sunday. It wasn't painful but I was worried it would deteriorate into something real painful & the milk supply would be affected.

So on Monday, Baby Kara & I made a trip down to a reputable lactation consultant at Mount Alvernia. This is our 2nd visit to a LC. When Baby Kara was 2 weeks old, we visited a LC at TMC for latching advise too but it wasn't useful.

Again I was disappointed with the LC. She did an awfully painful massage on my boob but did not manage to clear the blockage. Instead she advise Baby Kara to fully latch on so that the blockage would be cleared automatically. As with the previous LC, she helped to latch on Baby Kara & said baby was a good sucker so no problem & rush us home. Problem is, I couldn't replicate it at home. :(

Starting from then, Baby Kara went on cold turkey & did full latching. Her latching was no good so ended up Baby Kara was almost stuck to my boobs all day!

Luckily things started getting better as the week went by. A friendly mummy I met from the forum offered to help me with latching & after meeting her, I felt a lot better. We were having lunch together at Coffee Club & she actually latch on her baby without me even realizing. Amazing & hence she's my motivation.

By the end of the week, Baby Kara could latch on correctly. Yay! With the full latching, Baby Kara is closer to me now & she loves to sleep on my tummy. Also, latching makes it more flexible for us to go out. It eliminates the tons of stuffs (pumps, bottles, hot water, milk & cold pack) we have to bring out.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment